Thursday, October 4, 2007

SEC Picks - Week 6

I don’t like change. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to fully adjust to all of these weeknight games. It just throws my brain all out of whack. However, I’m very excited about the game tonight between Kentucky and South Carolina. Kickoff is in a few hours, so I guess I better get my pick in now.

This one is fairly difficult to pick, but I’m going to have to give the advantage to Kentucky. And my reasoning? They can run the ball.

South Carolina has the number 1 pass defense in the nation only allowing 106.4 yards per game. They have only allowed two passing touchdowns while collecting six interceptions. Advantage, Cocks? Not necessarily.

Kentucky’s pass defense is ranked 26th in the nation only allowing 181.6 yards per game. They have allowed five passing touchdowns while collecting nine interceptions. That should raise some eyebrows because South Carolina has thrown eight picks so far this year (compared to only two thrown by Kentucky).

Both South Carolina’s and Kentucky’s rushing defense are nearly identical statistically. Kentucky has allowed only 10 more yards this season on 15 less carries than South Carolina.

What makes that interesting is that South Carolina hasn’t been able to run the ball that well this year. They’re only averaging 4 yards per carry and 159.6 yards per game. Kentucky is averaging 5.76 yards per carry and 203.2 yards per game. With that, they have 14 rushing touchdowns to South Carolina’s 8.

Useless statistics aside, Kentucky has more to prove than South Carolina. They also have a true leader in Woodson. Despite USC’s powerful passing defense, I’m looking for him to have a good game. If he does, he should be on the top of everyone’s Heisman list.

UK 28 - USC 17

I should have my other picks posted tomorrow.

No comments: