Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A whole lot of talk, but from where?

I listen to the Opening Drive in the mornings, and Finebaum in the afternoons. I've heard numerous Bama fans call both shows and talk about all of the "aubies" calling for Tuberville's head. I've also heard Finebaum, and Tony Kurre mention this several times. I find it strange that I haven't heard a single caller doing this. I also haven't spoken with a single Auburn fan who feels this way about Tuberville. What's the deal? Am I listening at the wrong time? Are the hosts and Bama callers full of it? Either way, I'm not hearing it!

There has also been discussion over whether or not blame should be placed on Brandon Cox for the loss against USF. My take on this? Partially.

Cox had this to say about his performance:

"It's decisions, mainly, and trying to make things happen to much," Cox said. "I've just got to take what they give me and not try to force things. If it's not there, don't try to make something happen."

As a professional armchair quarterback, I have to disagree. Cox is not trying to do too much. He is not playing to win. He is playing to not get injured. Here's why I feel this way:

1. The offensive line performed well against USF. Cox didn't have defenders in his face all night long like he did against KSU, but he sure did play like it. He was throwing the ball early off of his back foot into double and triple coverage the entire game.
2. The few times that he was pressured or actually decided to scramble down the field, he went completely limp before getting hit. I noticed this in the KSU game as well. Before he gets hit, his head and shoulders drop.

This leads me to ask if there is something going on that the public doesn't know about. How many concussions has Cox suffered from over his career? It's pretty evident that he suffered one during the KSU game. The "How many concussions are too many?" argument is a whole separate can of worms, but if Cox has had several already, I'm not sure if he should still be playing. I would rather take my chances with a backup quarterback than having someone permanently injured.

Whether the above scenario is true or not remains to be seen. Maybe Cox isn't keeping his head on straight during the week. I don't know, but the fact remains that he is not mentally there during the games. Sure, he doesn't have the supporting cast that he's had during the past two years, but some of the mistakes he's making are just too questionable for a fifth year senior with two years starting under his belt.

No comments: